Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Stripping the frame

26Aug2021

Unbolted all the parts from the frame and washed it. Paint looks reasonable, probably powdercoat. 


I carefully removed paint build up on the engine and gearbox mounts. Important because bolts will loosen once paint migrates away.

Stripping all the parts off the frame allows a fresh start. There's many substandard bolts, nuts etc. Am planning to use 8.8 grade bolts as a standard. Often there was no locking nuts, washers or Loctite. I like Nyloc nuts in most situations. They are re-usable a couple of times. Temperature resistant to 121°C.


The rear shocks are shorter than stock but I have some old FXShovel ones. Ultimately I'd like some Progressives or similar because originals are very firmly sprung.


Got the headlight scrubbed up with a replacement H4 glass. Ultimately I'll run LED light. Quartz halogen stays for now.





No comments:

Post a Comment